Thursday, December 31, 2009

New Year, Renewing Person

I’ve seen a bunch of blogs going around summing up the biggest lessons learned this year and the goals for the next, so I thought I should sit down and reflect on the things I learned and on the best of times and the worst of times.

Highlights of the year:

April 11, 2009: I was formally received into full communion with Christ’s One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church at St. Mary’s Cathedral in Austin, Texas the Vigil of the Great Easter. It was an amazing and hard journey that culminated in my decision to join the Catholic Church. One chapter has ended, the next has only begun! And it was real blessing to see friends, new and old, there. All ranging from Dr. Budziszewski, and Dr. Koons to Kody Cooper, (unofficial representative for the Witherspoon Fellowship), my roommates, old roommates, high school friends, new freshmen kids, and best friends there. So much grace has been poured upon me ever since. Little did I know, Christ actually means it when he said, “For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required.”

May 22, 2009: Graduation Day! College was loads of fun! I’d do it all over again if I had the chance. In fact, I plan on doing it all over again, just for a JD or MA or PhD this time though. This day marked the point upon which I no longer belong to Austin, TX. It took me months more to realize that though. The day was amazing, from everyone (and I literally mean everyone) in the gymnasium applauding for me to good ole Rudy’s Barbeque with the family. This day also marked the future. As the immortal words were said in Gladiator, “What we do in life echoes in eternity.” I made a fateful decision less than two years ago to change my major. It’s a big decision. And I’m gonna continue to pursue it.

September 26, 2009: The LSAT. Let me be clear about one thing for you before you finish reading this blog. I HATE THE FREAKING LSAT!! I have never faced so many feelings of inadequacy (which is really disheartening for men), of loneliness, of despair than this damnable test designed to mock the God-given intellectual powers given to man. On the flip side, I did way better than I expected. Looks like the practice exams were harder than the one I took.

November 6-7, 2009: My grandmother died. The John Jay Institute declined my application. And I got drunk for the first time in my life. Note to self: Don’t have any more than five servings of alcohol. Six is pushing it. And seven is the perfect number. Eight is an abundance and nine will get you drunk. Too bad it came without warning though.

And the various days in between: the nice days were the ones where friends came by to visit, either unintentionally or with intent, it’s always nice to welcome them to my humble abode. So if I got to see you in Austin or in Houston, it was great hanging out with you. The occasional surprise instant message from someone I rarely talk to or a friend long forgotten. AMS, KL, RCY, JAMM, WW and W, along with hanging out with MR and JJK and JN, y’all are in my prayers, always. The phone calls from various people around the country reminds me of Christ and his love. All the aforementioned are agents of Christ, they pass the love given to them and continually sanctify the world with it. I duly admire you and consider my life a better one because of your love for me. Fight the good fight, finish the course, and keep the faith.
I am yours always, God is my Judge.

No comments:

Post a Comment